Sunday, November 30, 2008

Crafting In The Kitchen ~ Part 1

Parting is such sweet sorrow, isn't it? This is the final tutorial for our month long crafting event here at Joli Paquet. It's been a wonderful ride and we've had so much fun sharing our holiday recipes and crafting ideas with everyone, as well as making new friends along the way. I hope you all have enjoyed visiting our little blog as much as we have in putting it together for you.

Have you ever looked at the things in your kitchen with different eyes? What I mean is, you would be surprised as to what you can find in the kitchen to make ornaments or holiday decorations for your home. I have made ornaments out of wooden spoons, birdcages from wire whisks, candle holders out of egg cups and apples, etc. etc. Well, today we are going to make sweet little photo ornaments out of tiny tart pans. Here's what you'll need to get started:

~ Supplies ~

* Mini tart pans - These come in all shapes and sizes. I used round ones that are 2.25" in diameter from Sur la Table.

* Vintage or family photos that are sized to approximately 3" wide. Print these out on photo paper. I like to use Enhanced Matte Paper by Epson.

* 3-D Foam Dots

* Silver or Red Metallic Pipe Cleaners

* Small Beads or Pearls

* Buttons

* Artificial Evergreen Boughs or Leaves

* Gingham Ribbon
* Snow Glitter or Mica Flakes

* White Craft Glue

*Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
* 2" Circle Paper Punch - straight or scalloped edged.
(Size of punch will vary depending on size and shape of tart pan.)
Center punch on photograph and punch out circle.

Stack 2 foam dots and adhere to the inside bottom center of tart pan.

Insert circle-punched photograph into tart pan.
Press down gently to adhere the back of photo to the foam dot.

Form pipe cleaner into a circular shape.
TIP: Wrap pipe cleaner around a jar or bottle that is approximately 2" in diameter.
Shaping the pipe cleaner like this before placing in tart pan will make it easier to glue in place.
Trim pipe cleaner to size.

Apply white craft glue to the edges of photograph.

Sprinkle snow glitter or mica flakes while craft glue is still wet.

Shake off excess glitter.

Your ornament should look like the photos above and below at this point.

Pipe cleaners come in a variety of colors ~ Use the color that suits your project the best.
Bend and twist a pipe cleaner, forming a loop on the top.
Then bend the two tails in towards the center to form smaller loops.

Add a dab of hot glue to the top center of back of tart pan.

Press the pipe cleaner into hot glue to adhere to tart pan.

Add a small piece of artificial evergreen bough on top of tart pan, adhering with hot glue.

Glue 5-6 small red beads to evergreen bough.

Add button and gingham ribbon bow to embellish ornament.

Hang your ornament and enjoy!

Here are a couple other variations for the same ornament using different embellishments.

This photo of my mother is adorned with a rhinestone button and vintage tinsel garland.

This snowman ornie is embellished with a pink button and pink gingham ribbon bow. I also added extra snow glitter to the botton front of this ornament to make it look like a snow drift...

... and tiny white pearls instead of red beads.

I printed this photo out in sepia tones and embellished the ornament with a brown gingham ribbon and button along with a bit of vintage tinsel garland.
You can hang the ornaments on the tree or an evergreen swag.
Scroll down to "Crafting in the Kitchen ~ Part 2" for a bonus project!
xoxo
jeanne

29 comments:

Clever Karen said...

what a clever idea! I have some of these tins that I never bake with. hmmmm.......

Carla said...

WOW!!!! This project is fantastic! I absolutely love this. Now I'll have to scour my stores to get those tins. Thanks so much for sharing another fabulous project. I wish there were more hours in the day for crafting! :o) I'm really going to miss popping over here to see what wonderful goodies you all have in store for us. Another big thanks to all of you for generously sharing your ideas and your time with all of us. It's been great fun!

Dragonlady said...

This is a Great tutorial and easy too, thank you so much...I love the look of all of them...I think they would also look good on a very small tree too, I like to hang my vintage green handles cookie cutters on one of the small trees and these will look great mixed in with those...
Hugs
Brenda

michelle said...

So adorable! Funny what you can come up with when you look at things with "new"eyes!

Cheryl said...

I've enjoyed this blog tremendously... heres a thought. Why don't you continue??? Paaaaaaaaaa~lease--*pretty please* with sparkly sugary glitter on top?

One Pretty Thing said...

I love these, so clever! I'll be linking.

Cindy (JunqueArt) said...

This is such a great project Jeanne! I love it and I just bought some of those little tins!

Donna Layton said...

OMG....you are so stinkin' clever. It just sorta makes my jaw drop. This would be a fun kid craft too. Wonderful idea Jeanne:)

Pearl Maple said...

Fabulous crafting inspiration here. Thank you for sharing all these fun ideas on how to put more magic into our holidays.

Maija said...

Thank you for a wonderful project! Joli Paquet rocks- thanks girls!

Karen Junking in Georgia said...

Thank you for all the wonderful posts about great projects. I have enjoyed each of them.

Lori said...

Jeanne, those are totally adorable!!!

Beth Quinn said...

this is a wonderful project !!! soo much fun !!
xo,
beth

dede warren said...

These are great Jeanne! You are ever so talented, happiest of holidays to you!

Debe said...

Are you going to leave this blog up for awhile for those of us who just found it? I can't figure out how to save the ones I still need to do....poor me!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

So creative and adorable! What a lovely family.

Debbie @ ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com said...

I love this!!! It is right up my North Pole Alley and I can't wait to try this. I bought several tart pans to make some faux tarts and now I can use some of them for this. I just love this kind of thing....wondering if I could do a big picture with a big tart pan after we eat the big tart!!!!Big smile!
Debbie

Jan Ely said...

So cute! Thanks for the month of ideas!

Tina said...

Thanks for all the good ideas, I've gave you a shout out on my blog this am..GD and I made the snowman hats this weekend and had a good time with it.

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs said...

What a clever idea for ornaments! Lovely!

Jenni B said...

Oooh! These are so cute! I have so many tart tins and this would make the perfect gift!

Jenni B

Among the Hedgerows said...

These are really sweet!
~ Lynda

Cherry's Jubilee said...

I love that idea...so clever. I just found your site and lvoe it. I do a lot of crafts...and I feel right at home here! Thanks for the inspiration. cherry

Nancy said...

This blog has been so much fun. I just love all the wonderful projects you shared. All of them made me feel good just looking at the pictures. Are you REALLY sure you don't want to continue with this? PLEASE!!!!!

Lucy Ladham-Dyment said...

Just love your ideas. Very easy to follow. Thanks.

Lucy

http://mixedmediummusings.blogspot.com/

Jeanneoli said...

What wonderful ornaments. Thanks for the tutorial.

Clever Karen said...

Here are my creations using this idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

http://cleverkaren.blogspot.com/2008/12/tinsel-and-tin.html

Debra said...

What vintage cuteness! I could see these for almost any holiday. Thanks for sharing this.

disa said...

A片下載,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,aio交友愛情館,色情影片,臺灣情色網,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,愛情小說,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片,成人漫畫,成人文學,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風